1. Spring and Java
>> What's New in Java 16 [infoq.com]
An overview of new features in Java 16: records, pattern matching for instanceof, sealed classes, and more!
>> JEP 416: Reimplement Core Reflection with Method Handles [openjdk.java.net]
Reimplementing the method, constructor, and field-related reflection implementations with MethodHandles – no changes in API, though.
>> Panache – Active Record Pattern [thorben-janssen.com]
An entity object encapsulating data and database operations – an in-depth guide on how to implement the active record pattern with Panache.
Also worth reading:
- >> Introducing JDKMon: A New Tool to Detect and Update JDKs [infoq.com]
- >> A common Pitfall of Spring Boot's RestTemplate [steadybit.com]
- >> Keyset Pagination with JPA and Hibernate [vladmihalcea.com]
- >> JEP 400: UTF-8 by Default [openjdk.java.net]
- >> API first services with Spring Boot [blog.codecentric.de]
- >> 10 places you don’t need to use the mouse in IntelliJ IDEA [blog.jetbrains.com]
- >> Observing the Reliability of your Java Apps and Services with Spring Boot, Micrometer, Prometheus & Reliably [dev.to]
Webinars and presentations:
- >> Project Loom: Modern Scalable Concurrency for the Java Platform [inside.java]
- >> A Bootiful Podcast: Microsoft's Sean Li on Azure, Spring Boot, Azure Spring Cloud, Spring integrations and more [spring.io]
- >> The Java developer experience on Azure with Visual Studio Code [youtube.com]
Time to upgrade:
- >> Hibernate ORM 6.0.0.Alpha9 released [in.relation.to]
2. Technical & Musings
>> Gateway Pattern [martinfowler.com]
How to use the Gateway Pattern to encapsulate the access to an external system or resource.
>> New in Kubernetes v1.22: alpha support for using swap memory [kubernetes.io]
K8S 1.22 comes with experimental support for swap memory usage for workloads on a per-node basis.
Also worth reading:
- >> Rust's Vector [blog.frankel.ch]
- >> The RedMonk Programming Language Rankings: June 2021 [redmonk.com]
- >> Inject Quarkus list types with @ConfigProperty [blog.sebastian-daschner.com]
- >> AWS security case study: Unprotected logs [advancedweb.hu]
- >> Overview of hardened container base images [blog.codecentric.de]
And my favorite Dilberts of the week:
>> Monitoring Internal Messages [dilbert.com]
>> Tech Support Is Last Hope [dilbert.com]
>> Lanyards And Hugs [dilbert.com]
4. Pick of the Week
>> I hate MVPs. So do your customers. Make it SLC instead. [asmartbear.com]