1. Spring and Java
>> Interview with Brian Goetz on Java Language [inside.java]
A controversial take on Project Loom and its impact on the reactive model, but also an interesting discussion on other Java features.
>> GraalVM 21.2 Improves Native Components [infoq.com]
Faster native compilation, better integration with JFR, native testing, and more, all in a new GraalVM release.
>> Spring Data JPA – How to Return DTOs from Native Queries [thorben-janssen.com]
A practical guide to interface and class-based projections with Spring Data and native queries.
Also worth reading:
- >> Quarkus 2.0 Delivers Continuous Testing, CLI and Support for JDK 11 [infoq.com]
- >> Minor improvement to anonymous classes [openjdk.java.net]
- >> The Truly Hidden Gems of IntelliJ IDEA [blog.jetbrains.com]
- >> Validation with Spring Boot – the Complete Guide [reflectoring.io]
- >> File down- and uploads in RESTful web services [mscharhag.com]
Webinars and presentations:
- >> Inside Java Newscast #9 [inside.java]
- >> A Bootiful Podcast: Microsoft's Asir V. Selvasingh on Spring Boot, Spring Cloud, Microsoft Azure, and Azure Spring Cloud [spring.io]
- >> Spring Tips: Better Data-Driven Applications with Spring Boot and Redis [spring.io]
Time to upgrade:
- >> Spring Cloud 2021.0.0-M1 (aka Jubilee) Is Available [spring.io]
- >> Hibernate ORM 5.5.5.Final and 5.5.6.Final are released [in.relation.to]
- >> Hibernate Reactive 1.0.0.CR9 released [in.relation.to]
2. Technical & Musings
>> Kubernetes 1.22: Reaching New Peaks [kubernetes.io]
Be aware of the removal of some beta resources in the 1.22 release! also including server-side applications, external credential providers, and many more.
>> Feature Parity [martinfowler.com]
A pattern to replicate the existing functionality of a legacy system using a new technology stack.
Also worth reading:
- >> GitLab as your Continuous Deployment one-stop shop [blog.frankel.ch]
- >> Complete Guide to CSRF/XSRF (Cross-Site Request Forgery) [reflectoring.io]
- >> AWS security case study: Hardcoded credentials [advancedweb.hu]
- >> Jetpack Compose is now 1.0: announcing Android’s modern toolkit for building native UI [googleblog.com]
- >> Developer Hegemony, Revisited [daedtech.com]
And my favorite Dilberts of the week:
>> Lanyards And Hugs [dilbert.com]
>> Dilbert Simulation [dilbert.com]
>> Wally Multi Zooms [dilbert.com]
4. Pick of the Week
>> The Four Quadrants of Conformism [paulgraham.com]