1. Spring and Java
Significant enhancements to Azure Spring: native images, faster startup, better memory footprint, and quite a bit more goodness.
>> Micronaut Framework 4: Faster, More Cloud Native, Better Than Ever [blogs.oracle.com]
Micronaut Framework 4 is here! And it’s faster, more cloud-native, more secure, and better than ever.
>> New in Spring 6.1: RestClient [spring.io]
And, well, let’s end with what I think will be highly useful within the Spring ecosystem.
Meet RestClient: a new synchronous HTTP client with the fluent API of WebClient with the infrastructure of RestTemplate.
Also worth reading:
- >> Modern Cryptography in OpenJDK: Introduction of Key Encapsulation Mechanisms API [infoq.com]
- >> Vaadin 24.1.0: Enhancing Web Application Development with New Features and Optimizations [infoq.com]
- >> Journeys in Java, Level 10: Service Discovery with Eureka [foojay.io]
- >> Enforcing Your Architecture with ArchUnit [reflectoring.io]
- >> Micronaut 4.0.0 Brings Java Virtual Threads, GraalVM Support and Experimental HTTP/3 Features [infoq.com]
- >> Effective Coding with Java Observability [foojay.io]
- >> Reactive Database Access on the JVM [foojay.io]
Webinars and presentations:
- >> A Bootiful Podcast: Spring Framework and Spring Boot legend Stéphane Nicoll on a Bootiful Podcast [spring.io]
- >> HTMX and Spring Boot [youtube.com]
- >> Vertical Slices in practice [event-driven.io]
Time to upgrade:
- >> Spring Initializr 0.20.0 available now [spring.io]
- >> Spring Web Flow 3.0.0 Released [spring.io]
- >> Spring Framework 5.2.25.RELEASE, 5.3.29 and 6.0.11 available now [spring.io]
- >> Spring Framework 6.1 M2 released [spring.io]
- >> Hibernate Reactive 2.0.3.Final released [in.relation.to]
- >> Spring Data 2023.0.2, 2022.0.8, and 2021.2.14 available now [spring.io]
- >> Spring HATEOAS 1.5.5, 2.0.5, 2.1.1 and 2.2 M1 released [spring.io]
- >> JHipster v8.0.0-beta.2 Released [jhipster.tech]
- >> Micronaut Core 4.0.0 Released [micronaut.io]
- >> Helidon 2.6.2 Released [helidon.io]
- >> Payara Platform Community 6.2023.7 Released [payara.fish]
2. Technical & Musings
>> Generate from Constraints [michaelfeathers.silvrback.com]
How GPT and Generative AI will impact software development with code generation.
Also worth reading:
- >>Reactive Programming Made Easy [foojay.io]
- >> Designing APIs with Swagger and OpenAPI [blog.frankel.ch]
3. Pick of the Week
Java has seen incredible growth over the last few years, which is so cool to see.
The Developer Nation Survey is a good way to give feedback about how the language is actually used in the field and how we’d like things to move forward as well:
>> Take the Survey Sponsored
And, of course, there are always non-trivial prizes here as well.