1. Spring and Java
>> JEP proposed to target JDK 19: 425: Virtual Threads (Preview) [openjdk.java.net]
Finally, Project Loom will be available as a preview feature in Java 19 – a solid, new concurrency model for Java!
>> ZGC | What's new in JDK 18 [malloc.se]
String deduplication support, no more class unloading, Linux/PowerPC, and more enhancements for ZGC in Java 18.
>> Why Write an Empty finalize() Method? [stuartmarks.wordpress.com]
Another strange but sometimes useful finalization quirk – empty finalize() method disables finalization for class instances.
Also worth reading:
- >> Cloud Native Java with the Micronaut Framework [infoq.com]
- >> Synchronization Methods for Many-To-Many Associations [jpa-buddy.com]
- >> Ever wanted to rewrite a query in Spring Data JPA? [spring.io]
- >> Nested Transactions in jOOQ [blog.jooq.org]
- >> Getting Started to Quarkus Reactive Messaging with Apache Kafka [infoq.com]
- >> Calling Google Cloud Services in Java [java-allandsundry.com]
Webinars and presentations:
- >> A Bootiful Podcast: Simon Ritter, Java Champion and deputy CTO at Azul [spring.io]
- >> Modern Java Delivery: Java 17, 18 and Open JDK [redmonk.com]
- >> JDK 8 to JDK 18 in Garbage Collection: 10 Releases, 2000+ Enhancements [inside.java]
- >> Maven Tutorial – Nice & Easy [youtube.com]
- >> 8 Tips and Experiences on Neo4j With Java [blog.sebastian-daschner.com]
Time to upgrade:
- >> Spring Cloud 2021.0.2 Has Been Released [spring.io]
- >> Netflix Conductor v3.8.0-rc.1 [github.com/Netflix]
- >> Apache Camel 3.11.7 [camel.apache.org]
- >> Micronaut 3.4.3 [micronaut.io]
2. Technical & Musings
>> Kubernetes 1.24: Stargazer [kubernetes.io]
An interstellar release for Kubernetes: Dockershim removal, gRPC probes, storage capacity tracking, and many more in 1.24 release.
>> Introduction to Symmetric Encryption for the Working Developer [geekabyte.io]
And a practical guide to symmetric encryption: the definition, symmetry, ECB vs. CBC, AES, padding, and initialization vectors.
Also worth reading:
- >> Securely authenticate to Google Cloud from GitHub [frankel.ch]
- >> Dockershim: The Historical Context [kubernetes.io]
- >> How to write a simple systemd timer [advancedweb.hu]
- >> Github Actions test a full Tekton CI installation [blog.codecentric.de]
- >> Agile Book Club: Refactoring (with Martin Fowler) [jamesshore.com]
- >> SoundCloud Chronicles the End of the Public API Strangler [infoq.com]
And my favorite Dilberts of the week:
>> Identify Any Way You Want [dilbert.com]
>> Sunday Illusion Of Management [dilbert.com]
>> Ethical To Kill AI [dilbert.com]